J. and A Hancock,
Fordhouse Lane, aprox 1957



Recently rebuilt and widened Pinapple Bridge approx 1930

Fordhouse Lane.

The Fordrough (an old word for farm track) was a lane running from the village to the top of Fordhouse Lane.  An old farmhouse and cottages were demolished here to make land for the estate.  The area that is now allotments was once a brickworks and the house that still stands was part of the offices. There are several natural springs in this area and a well marked as Hazels Well is shown on early maps. The springs have now been converted to provide water for the allotments
By 1904 Stirchley was well established with many of the side roads built. The building continued with new roads being cut and more industry attracted to the area.
There are many memories that are not specific to Stirchley but could relate to almost any suburb of a similar age. The 'monkey-run' and 'flea pit', together with hurdy-gurdy, hot potato and muffin men are common to many areas but. in the mid 19th. century, certain events were to occur which would make Stirchley different Although Dogpool and Hazelwell mills were already playing their part in the prosperity and employment of the area, in 1861 a company built a factory that would become GKN: the Ten Acres & Stirchley Street Co-operative Society opened its first shop in 1875 and. in 1879. Cadburys moved to nearby Bournville. These three companies were to have an important effect on Stirchley changing it from a predominate farming area to a residential and industrial suburb.


N0.11 outer circle
Fordhouse Lane.

 


Around 1910, the brook on Fordhouse Lane